Training/Instruction and Writer
Cleveland East Side
Listing Dates: 10/13/2019 to 11/20/2019
Assistant Professor of Creative Writing/Composition (Poetry/Fiction) Liberal Arts
The Liberal Arts Department at The Cleveland Institute of Art seeks candidates for an Assistant Professor of Creative Writing/Composition (Poetry/Fiction) to begin July 2020.
The Cleveland Institute of Art is a nonprofit, private college of Art and Design located near the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Cleveland Museum of Art, the Cleveland Institute of Music, and Case Western Reserve University in the University Circle cultural district, a growing, vibrant and diverse center for education and the arts that was named by Forbes as “one of ten prettiest neighborhoods in the country.” CIA offers BFA degrees in Life Sciences Illustration, Industrial Design, Graphic Design, Painting, Drawing, Printmaking, Glass, Sculpture + Expanded Media, Game Design, Photography, Animation, Illustration, Interior Architecture, Metalworking and Jewelry, Ceramics, and “Concentration” study through the Liberal Arts Department in Visual Culture and in Creative Writing.
We are seeking applications from writers who have achieved distinction in composition/creative writing (poetry/fiction) and whose scholarship and/or teaching history includes genres of writing that incorporate visual media. Preferred secondary areas of expertise include one or more of the following:
- Digital Storytelling
- Graphic Novel (Comics)
- Multimodal Composition
- Screenwriting/Video Game Writing
- Visual Essay/Poetry
- Video Poetry
- Arts Criticism
We are particularly interested in candidates with a proven interest in bringing to their teaching, mentoring, and writing critical perspectives reflecting the experiences of groups who have been historically underrepresented or marginalized in higher education.
Successful candidates will carry a 3/3 teaching load and will be expected to engage in scholarship/publishing and service, which includes contributing to the advising and coordination of students in our Creative Writing Concentration.
- MFA or PhD in a relevant field.
- A record of publication in nationally recognized outlets.
- Experience teaching writing at the college level.
- Evidence of a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the classroom and with colleagues.
Applicants must submit the following:
1. A Cover Letter of no more than two double spaced pages detailing qualities the applicant brings to this position and outlining teaching and service, creative/scholarly practices, and other relevant experience.
2. A Curriculum Vitae.
3. A Writing Portfolio (15-25 pages).
4. A Teaching Statement of no more than two double spaced pages outlining pedagogical methods and commitments to diversity and inclusion in the classroom.
5. Contact information for three (3) references.
- All application materials must be submitted in a single pdf file in the order listed. Limit pdf file size to 10MB or less and label the file as follows: last name_first name_LA2019.
- Applicants are required to set up an account on Slideroom.com (free) to submit complete application file to: http://www.cia.edu/liberalartsfacultysearch
- Questions can be directed to Rachael Sauber, Office of Academic Affairs, email@example.com
Review of applications will begin on November 20, 2019 and continue until the position is filled. Semi-finalist candidates will be interviewed via teleconference. Three letters of recommendation will be required for candidates who progress. Finalists will be invited for campus visits in early 2020. Academic transcripts and background check authorization will be required for finalists. The Institute offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. Compensation is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
The Cleveland Institute of Art is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, committed to building and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse campus environment, and to the principles that promote inclusion.