Artist, Illustrator, and Training/Instruction
Cleveland East Side
Listing Dates: 01/31/0019 to 02/03/2019
The Cleveland Institute of Art is seeking a qualified individual to fill a full-time ranked faculty position as Assistant /Associate Professor in the Illustration department.
The ideal candidate should have extensive professional industry experience and exceptional skills in both traditional and digital media. The candidate will be expected to teach courses related to various aspects of the illustration industry that includes: research, conceptual thinking, visual storytelling, traditional and digital methods (drawing, painting and design), business, marketing, self-promotion, and a strong knowledge of the history of Illustration. Candidates will have a thorough understanding of the current markets as well as a vision for emerging applications.
The Illustration department at the Cleveland Institute of Art is known internationally for its faculty, alumni and visiting artists. The major offers a comprehensive program that teaches industry standard techniques in illustration with an emphasis on storytelling and production.
- Experience teaching various aspects of illustration
- Proficiency with traditional methods and techniques, including drawing and painting
- Solid understanding of the elements and principles of design
- Strong network of contacts with other professionals, agencies and employers
- A team player committed to building and maintaining a professional and civil work environment
- Knowledge of contemporary visual culture, especially history and theory of illustration as well as influences form fine art and design
5 years of professional experience within the Illustration industry and a record of professional work and achievement. Additional experience preferred but not required: Graduate degree, college level teaching, curriculum development and organization of teaching materials (lectures, handouts, projects, initiatives and student resources). The successful candidate must be willing to teach courses in areas as needed and assist with organizing department related events.
All full-time, ranked faculty members are expected to participate in departmental and school-wide committees, events, curriculum development, undergraduate student advisement and assessment of programs.
Applicants must submit the following:
- Cover letter summarizing experience, credentials, and approach to teaching
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- 15-20 annotated digital files representing your creative work
- Contact information for (email address, phone numbers) for three professional references
Applicants may include the following:
1. 10-15 annotated digital files of student/mentored work if applicable.
- All application materials must be submitted in a single pdf file in the order listed (1-4). Limit pdf file size to 10MB or less and label the file as follows: last name_first name_ILLUS2018.
- Applicants are required to set up an account on Slideroom.com (free) to submit complete application file to: http://www.cia.edu/illustrationfacultysearch
- Questions can be directed to Andrea Kohoot, Office of Academic Affairs, firstname.lastname@example.org
Position begins July 2019 for the academic year. Application review will begin February 4 and continue until position is filled. Finalists will be notified by February 11, 2019, and additional materials may be requested at that time. Academic transcripts and background check authorization will be required for finalists. The Institute offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. Rank and compensation are commensurate with experience and qualifications.