Customer Service, Manager, Marketing, Project Coordinator, and Writer
Listing Dates: 07/03/2019 to 09/03/2019
WESTERN RESERVE LAND CONSERVANCY
Title: Director of Communications, Public Relations and Marketing
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Location: Moreland Hills, OH
Hours: 8:30a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (some evenings and weekends as required)
Western Reserve Land Conservancy provides the people of northeast Ohio with essential natural assets through land conservation and restoration. Headquartered in Moreland Hills, Ohio, we are the largest land conservancy in Ohio, employing over 40 people in offices throughout northern and eastern portions of the state. Our land protection team has now conserved more than 56,000 acres of natural area and working farms in 23 Ohio counties. Thriving Communities, our urban revitalization program, is nationally recognized for thought leadership on removing blight; creating land banks to find productive uses for vacant properties; and revitalizing communities through greening strategies. Our mission is funded through a combination of program revenue, government grants and philanthropic gifts from individuals, foundations and corporations.
This position directs all of the internal and external communications and marketing for the organization. The Director will plan and implement a communications and marketing program for Western Reserve Land Conservancy that supports the conservation and fundraising goals of the organization. This position is responsible for overseeing media relations, website, social media, and the production of publications and other creative materials with staff and agency support.
An understanding of how to create effective messaging on key public policy issues is important in this role as well as upholding the mission, vision, values, and customer service standards of Western Reserve Land Conservancy.
- Publications: Write, edit and manage all Land Conservancy publications, including the annual donor report, Connections magazine and Landline
- Special publications: Work closely with the Development team and other departments to create brochures, white papers and other documents as needed. Edit the annual Stewardship Landline.
- Media relations: Serve as the media contact for the Land Conservancy and oversee the issuance of all news releases and statements to the press.
- Social media: Oversee the Community Outreach Manager’s social media work for the Land Conservancy.
- Website: Work with the Community Outreach Manager to oversee and edit the organization’s website, creating content and serving as editor of content written by others.
- Fundraising letters and materials: Support the Development Team by writing and editing fundraising letters when directed and creating special publications.
- Visuals: Shoot, edit photos and videos when needed. There are times when an agency is needed to support this work – manage the agency.
- Managing staff, freelance photographers, designers and printers: Direct and manage all outreach and communications staff, freelance creative work on publications and special projects and approve pricing with the CDO.
- Internal communications: Oversee the writing, editing and distribution of weekly internal newsletter, Just Between Us. Work with the Management Team and others to craft messaging about completed projects to staff and trustees.
- Public policy messaging: Work with the CEO, CDO and others to craft key messages about policy issues affecting the Land Conservancy.
- Advertising: Create, schedule and coordinate any advertising involving the Land Conservancy.
- Marketing and Committee: Serve on the committee as a staff representative.
Requirement Education and Experience:
- At least 7 years of experience in marketing, communications or fundraising, with a strong focus on communication techniques for institutional donors
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college is required
- Enthusiasm for conservation and urban revitalization and for the mission of Western Reserve Land Conservancy.
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical and organizational skills.
- Experience developing and managing budgets.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Outlook, Excel and Publisher.
- Familiarity with WordPress content management system; Adobe InDesign and other creative software.
- Knowledge of basic photography and photo editing.
- Knowledge of basic videography, storyboarding and video editing or the ability to manage an agency doing this work.
- Familiarity with major social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time.
- Minimum of 5 years progressive experience in marketing, communications or public relations with demonstrated success, preferably in the not-for-profit sector.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, and/or public relations preferred.
- Experience working with volunteers is desirable.
- Full-time, salaried position with benefits.
- Position will be based at our headquarters in Moreland Hills, Ohio.
- Participation in donor and engagement events on weekends and evenings as needed is required.
- Willingness and ability to travel, primarily throughout Northern and Eastern Ohio, is required.
- Salary will be commensurate with experience.
- Western Reserve Land Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested individuals should send a resume and cover letter to Bob Kissling, Director of Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org.