Creative Director, Designer, Designer - Print & Web, Graphic Designer, Illustrator, Manager, Photoshop Work, Product Development, Production Artist, and Project Coordinator
Listing Dates: 12/22/2019 to 12/31/2019
Rock connects us. It’s why we’re here. Every generation has new sounds, new heroes, and new passions. What stays the same is this: music brings people together. We’re all fans first. Even the greatest artists started with someone else’s song in their ears. The Rock Hall crew isn’t any different. We’re passionate fans who want to share stories about the power of rock & roll. In the Graphic Design and Production Manager role, the ideal candidate will plug into their passion and take a bold approach in illustrating the grit and authenticity of the Rock Hall brand. As a member of the content team, this designer will make a powerful first impression with creative work that is as alive as the music we celebrate.
The Graphic Design and Production Manager engages our audiences and amplifies our message by creating bold, powerful artwork that is as alive as rock & roll itself. This Rock Hall crew member reports to the Director of Brand & Content Strategy, is a strong brand leader on the content team, and collaborates with marketing, exhibits, development & education teams to illustrate our authentic story and make meaningful connections with music fans here, there and everywhere.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
1. Designs bold, gritty, authentic, and alive graphic artwork and visual communications for digital and physical use across the organization.
- Creates graphics for major museum initiatives, including branding, exhibits, events, educational programs and fundraising efforts, through the visual guidelines of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Brand.
- Concepts, develops and produces digital and traditional marketing, merchandising, and other collateral that reach the organization’s external and internal audiences, according to strategic plans provided by Director of Brand & Content Strategy.
- Pushes all brand communications to be as creative and compelling as possible in alignment with our brand (bold, gritty, authentic, alive) while maintaining consistency across design projects with graphic integrity correcting style and visual representation as necessary.
- Incorporates strong calls to action in marketing materials to encourage fans to visit the museum, attend an event, shop in our stores, etc. as identified in the creative brief.
- Liaises with content team and key internal stakeholders to ensure production and deliverable deadlines are met.
2. Oversees production of collateral material.
- Oversees projects from inception through completion to help ensure a high level of quality and maintenance of concept.
- Works with vendors, freelancers and any and all outside sources/purchases needed to fulfill production of each project.
- Creates a publications schedule that ties in with other department efforts and meets all existing departmental needs.
- Manages project production budget expectations as designated by key internal stakeholders.
3. Manages the Content Creator.
- Mentors and provides regular formal and informal feedback for the Content Creator.
- Prioritizes and delegates graphic design assignments to the Content Creator.
- Provides Content Creator with artistic direction and guidance for marketing projects for most effective communication and brand consistency.
- Writes actionable reviews for team.
Duties include but may not be limited to the above.
JOB REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience, in Art, Design. Graphics or related field. Ability to read and demonstrate basic oral, written, mathematical and manual skills. Ability to communicate in standard English.
Experience in Field:
- Four (4) to five (5) years professional experience in graphic design and production management. Previous supervisory experience is strongly preferred.
- Ability to work at least 40 hours per week; Ability to be reachable to respond to clients’ needs and requests. Ability to work additional hours as business needs demand.
- Strong working knowledge of most popular professional graphic design programs and other software, including, but not limited to, Adobe Creative Cloud including Photoshop, InDesign & Illustrator; MS Office.
- Ability to write and edit text, particularly review spelling, grammar, and of text appearance.
- Solid understanding of and familiarity with the Internet.
- Must be able to work at a computer work station for extended periods of time.
- Ability to respond to numerous requests simultaneously.
- Flexibility and an ability to shift priorities as needed.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to deal effectively with staff members, volunteers, Museum members, donors and visitors.
- A professional and resourceful style; willingness to take initiative, manage multiple tasks and projects at a time; and willingness to learn.
- Thinks of the big-picture and considers the impact of decisions across the institution.
- Understands implicitly how to work with different people and various working styles across the organization.
- Sets a strong example for others by initiating collaboration and working consistently in a collegial manner.
- Displays a positive attitude toward guests and other museum staff.
- Encourages teamwork and anticipates and removes obstacles to effective teamwork; seeks to resolve conflicts as they arise.
- Approaches others in a positive manner and builds solid long-term relationships with key stakeholders inside and outside the organization.
- Ability to successfully pass a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame reference check, background investigation and drug screening.
- Computer literate in standard office management software, including Microsoft Office applications. Experience working with database software required, with proficiency in Microsoft Products with strength in MS Excel and MS PowerPoint.
- Problem solving and decision-making skills.